Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Shy about taking dolls outside?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member cpkz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9th, 2005
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As you can possibly guess from my displayed name, I am a collector of cabbage patch kids (mainly soft-sculpture Originals from Cleveland, GA).
    I collect other dolls also, including American Girls.

    This topic is a good "first post" for me. You see, I take dolls with me wherever and whenever I want to, generally the soft-sculptures but others have "gone out" as well. They have been to breakfast, lunch, and dinner in restaurants. They sometimes go to church. They have been to various school functions with our daughter (age 7). They go to the library, the orthodontist, out shopping, and have travelled on airplanes. They go outside to play in the playhouse, where they LOVE climbing up to the loft to look out the window.

    Long ago, I quit worrying about "what 'other people' think". Their opinions are not valid to me, my husband, or our daughter (she is quite the "free thinker!") We enjoy our lifestyle and our dolls are part of it!

    Try it out. Take your dolls with you whenever you want to...pretty soon, You might be doing it all the time!

    carly

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Sakurako's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Brava! Brava! Way to go! I've been doing the same thing (with dolls and for about 6 years, with a 2 foot tall exquisitely dressed bear) for a long time. Even bears will brush off if they fall over and if you take one with you into the restaurant, he/she won't get stolen out of your car. The only problem I had in a restaurant was one rather wicked waitress. I ordered Indian Pudding a la mode for Richard (my large bear) and a steak for myself. She brought both orders together, served him properly and retired to a corner to watch with amusement what happened next. Do I let my perfectly done steak get cold or do I let the ice cream on top of Richard's hot pudding melt?

    Most dolls will learn how to balance on stands without falling over unless it's a very windy day. AGs are PLAY dolls. They are meant to be PLAYED with. If they get dirt on them, it washes off. It they get leaves in their hair, it brushes out. And no one's opinion matters except your own. THANKS, CPKZZ!

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ May 09, 2005 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Sakurako ]</font>

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner OSusannah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2003
    Posts
    939
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Growing up, I was always taught to be careful of what I do and to be concerned about what others thought of me. I think it was in my high school rebellion period that I decided "phooey on that!"

    And now, having 5 children who apparently spend their spare time thinking up ways to embarrass me, I am completely oblivious to others. It's also part of getting "old", at least for me and I'm only 39 (not 40 YET!)

    I can see where you younger girls would be embarrassed to take dolls out, and it's not really your fault. It's that other people would think less of you for "playing with dolls."

  4. #4
    ponydreamer
    Guest ponydreamer's Avatar

    Post

    I'm too shy to take my dolls out in public. I worry what people will think. I wish I didn't feel that way, but I do. And I'm 40, Tracy....there goes that theory! LOL!!!!! And how come you're younger than me? That's not fair!

    I am also worried about the dolls getting dirty. My dolls all look brand new. I can't help myself. [img]redface.gif[/img]

    I give [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] to those of you who feel comfortable taking your dolls out. There is certainly nothing to be ashamed of. [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member schallerwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 7th, 2004
    Posts
    193
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The yard sounds wonderful! It must have been beautiful. How lovely for the guy to stop. That would have made my day and is better than the gasps of concern I get when I take my dolls out in public. People tend to think I'm "touched" and whisper lol.

    Nann

  6. #6
    Inactive Member PrincessRuthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 19th, 2004
    Posts
    2,054
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Sakurako:

    Most dolls will learn how to balance on stands without falling over unless it's a very windy day. AGs are PLAY dolls. They are meant to be PLAYED with. If they get dirt on them, it washes off. It they get leaves in their hair, it brushes out. And no one's opinion matters except your own. THANKS, CPKZZ!

    <font color="#051E50"><font size="1">[ May 09, 2005 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Sakurako ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's exactly what I believe. I take care of my dolls, but I like to take them out (most of the time!). If one of them gets dirty, particularly Molly, my oldest, I just give her a baking soda "bath." Dolls are meant to be played with, and I'm not going to keep them on a shelf in perfect, pristine condition. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member americangirlsrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    221
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Luckily I have a 7 year old daughter, so she is my "cover". Although she doesn't take them out too often either, since she has a tendency to misplace things!! I must admit, though, I would never have the courage to take one out by myself! [img]redface.gif[/img] Good for all of those who do, though...you are very confident! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    rolloverrover
    Guest rolloverrover's Avatar

    Post

    As you can possibly guess from my displayed name, I am a collector of cabbage patch kids (mainly soft-sculpture Originals from Cleveland, GA).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I just went to Babyland General Hospital a couple of weeks ago when I visited my sister in GA!! The first 10 or so pics from my latest album are from there if you want to take a look.

    http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2127378662

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ May 09, 2005 05:51 PM: Message edited by: AGNan ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member cpkz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 9th, 2005
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    HMMM< Nan...Maybe you know me, lots of the collectors do:

    http://groups.msn.com/CaliforniaCPKClub

    We are a private msn. group....Should you wish to join, one of the managers must approve your request. But we are pretty liberal, lol!

    I have considered starting an MSN group for AG collectors....WhyNot, and is anybody interested??

    **Rejoice, Laugh, Inspire One Another....Life Is 2Short Not TO HAVE FUN and LIVE EACH DAY TO THE MAX!!***

    carly

  10. #10
    Inactive Member PrincessRuthie's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 19th, 2004
    Posts
    2,054
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Go ahead and start one....I probably will join! Though I always post the most on Hostboard....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •